Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ah Politicians

Assalamualaikum & Goodday
.
All this while, I've been refraining myself from writing anything on politics. But this time, I just cannot tahan anymore. I need to voice out the uneasiness I've been having in my mind and chest. The issue that has been bothering me is the AZAN issue in Selangor.
.
Before going further, I'd better give the background of the issue first. I know most of you dah tau pasal issue. Tapi mana la tau kalo-kalo ada yang tatau kan. So, recently there have been a movement calling for AZAN to be aired internally. Reason being, not to disturb other members of community.
.
This movement is supported by a certain YB from the Selangor State Government. The YB even went to a certain surau before dusk to wait for the AZAN. After the AZAN, he/she had a chat with the surau people to find out whether their could air the AZAN internally or at least tone down the volume. His/Her reason was other people are still sleeping and the AZAN will disturb them. Waaaa.....so altruistic la this YB eh. Oh yeah, FYI, the surau is located in a 90% muslim community. Had a friend of mine in Selangor to verify this :)
.
To me, the purpose of the AZAN is to summon the Muslims to the suraus and mosques. So, it is designed to wake people up! If it is aired internally or in a softer tone, wouldn't it be defeating the purpose of the AZAN. Plus the AZAN would only last 4-5 minutes!! And it's not 3 in the morning ok, it's around 6 am!!! It's time to wake up anyway.
.
Frankly, as a Muslim, I'm insulted. I'm angry. I am disgusted by the YB's action. I also sometimes do not approve some of the other religions' activities. But did I stop them? Nooo...why? Because my religion taught me to be nice to others. My religion taught me to respect and tolerate. My religion taught me to live in peace and harmony with others regardless of their beliefs.
.
Come on la. We've been living together since before Merdeka. We respected each other's culture and beliefs. We tolerate, we give and we take. And now this happened. I just don't understand the motive. This is issue has never been raised before. Why must it be raised now? Why must we instill prejudice among our citizens? Why jeopardize the already fragile unity that we have?
.
Religion is a very sensitive issue. So don't go near it. Do not politicize it. Be smart, not a smart ass. We hate smart asses.
.
Allah is Great!!!


No comments: